How do we use your money?
With over a quarter of a million pounds raised so far we are funding major research projects which include:
1. A study of the muscles of the soft palate. This is a PhD study which will cost £145,000 over 3 years. We have funded the first £45,000 and are committed to funding the remainder
2. A genetic study ascertaining if the TBX22 transcription factors plays an important role in submucous cleft palate. We have allocated £13,000 to this project
3. We are funding a longitudinal study of the speech and growth outcomes at 5 years of age of children with unilateral cleft lip and palate treated with and without presurgical orthopaedics in infancy. This has cost £2,700.
4. An evaluation of the outcomes of over 200 operations on palates which did not have classical clefts or submucous clefts. The aim is to try to understand which patients will benefit from further surgery. £7,500 has been provided for this study.
5. A 3-D imaging project to develop techniques for 3-D MRI scanning of the palate.
Our overseas work includes:
1. We have bought and shipped operating microscopes for hospitals in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
2. We have funded a visit by Sri Lankan speech therapists to a speech workshop in India.
3. We are paying £12,000 for nasendoscopy equipment for a cleft team in Upper Egypt